Gram Parivahan Yojana (PMGPY)
Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana (PMGPY) is a new scheme to be launched soon by the central government. Under the PMGPY scheme, the government would provide interest free loans to women self help group to buy commercial passenger vehicles. The scheme would be launched on the lines of ongoing rural scheme “Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana”.
The scheme would be launched soon to provide interest free loan on commercial vehicle in the areas where the roads have already been constructed under the PM Gram Sadak Yojana.
Objective of Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana (PMGPY)
- The main objective of PM Gram Parivahan Yojana is to improve the public transport facility and generate employment options in rural areas. Through the scheme, government wants to bridge the gap between villages and cities where the roads have been constructed but there is no or very less public transport.
- Initially under the scheme, government would provide interest free loans for on at least 1,500 commercial vehicles in 250 blocks across the country. The maximum seating capacity of the commercial vehicle would be 10 people. The scheme may be later expanded to provide loan for 80000 commercial passenger vehicles across the country.
- A loan of maximum Rs. 6 lakh would be provided under the PMGPY scheme and the loan tenure would be about 6 months. The government has already conducted a survey in rural areas of Bilaspur in Chhattisgarh to check the feasibility of the scheme.
- According to survey study, the best option would be to provide loan at interest subsidized interest rate for 10-12 seater commercial passenger vehicle to run on a stretch of 20-22 kilometer which connects at leas 10-14 small villages.
- The scheme is expected to boost public transport facility in rural areas and generate employment options, especially among women.